As a KGBA board member, I sometimes have people ask me how they can help promote our breed. I’m so happy that people are excited about finding ways to make our Kinders shine!
Although the board is doing quite a few things to promote the breed, we can’t do it all!
A few board actions include:
- Offering evaluations to our members for herd improvement
- Offering online virtual shows
- Offering monetary incentives for champions at shows
- Free annual membership for dress out weights*
- Free annual memberships for milk test participants*
- Free show sanctions and ribbons to encourage increase in shows
- Maintaining a youth program with a doe/wether chain to encourage new youth to join the association
*must meet program requirements
Board members don’t stop at that! They are also doing the following things on a personal level:
- Lisa LaRose has attended every sanctioned show but one since she joined the board (and too many to count before that).
- John James has planned and held the largest sanctioned Kinder show for multiple years. He has also worked with local venues to spotlight our youth members and their Kinders.
- Ashley Kennedy has consistently kept her herd on milk test for years.
- Stephanie Lounsbury has arranged local meet ups with other Kinder owners and writes for the newsletter.
- Kathrin Bateman runs our newsletter committee.
- Sue Beck has had a booth at the Mother Earth News Fair, written articles for online publications, and became her local 4H goat leader.
- Stefanie Idzikowski became a milk tester and has travelled to shows to do One Day Milk Tests.
These are just a few examples of the ways that we are trying to make our association and the breed shine. What are you doing? We would love to hear about the many things that we know our members are doing to promote their goats!
We would love to spotlight you on the KGBA website and/or upcoming newsletters where your ideas could help others to come up with their own ways to promote Kinders within their communities. Details and photos can be sent to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org